PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X Oasis crew applying to AOA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 01:04
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACMS

Hey mate,
yes we voted against the new DEFO scales two years ago. Then in its usual fashion CX imposed them anyway - just like 1994, 1999 and 2001.

I am not going to get involved with the whole 'shouldn't have accepted B, ASL, F, DEFO scales' argument. I know that everyone has a choice - the choice or not to join given the prevailing conditions. I do not believe those that joined on B scales, ASL, DEFO or Oasis did so to undermine the incumbent employees. I think they joined as the conditions were better than their alternatives. So whilst I am personally unhappy with CX offering defacto DEC positions, I do not take issue with those that have accepted them. The bad guy is CX, not the new employees.

In December 1992, the HKAOA expressed their opposal to the introduction of B scales. In the same vein it understood it was the company's right to introduce new T+C's for new employees and that the AOA could not legally defend an employee who did not yet exist (B scales started 1/4/93). As a result of this and other prevailing issues, the AOA asked that no G days be worked in Jan 93!

From being there I can tell you the general belief was that people wouldn't join and if they did the salaries would converge within 3-5 years as they had in the US and European carriers that introduced B scales.

It seems that everytime a new issue raises its ugly head, old prejudices raise theirs too!

Last edited by Numero Crunchero; 2nd Sep 2008 at 01:15.