PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 744 off runway at Montreal
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 21:58
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Canada has gone over 25 years without a fatal accident...
I'm aware of that, congratulations, maybe memorizing all those drills is a good idea after all! However American is a much larger airline and I was talking in terms of hours or number of operations, i.e. takeoffs and landings. Sadly, American's run of luck was destined to end and, after a fatal crash in LIT in 1999, they lost hundreds of pax and three aircraft in 2001 to terrorist activity and the A306 tail separation. And, as I mentioned, FedEx has never had a fatal accident although they have had several widebody hull losses in recent years. Are these statistical blips in an ever lower accident rate? Or do some companies do it right while others operate under a black cloud? I don't claim to know but we've all seen these runs of luck, good and bad, in this business.

My airline requires the handling pilot to stow the speedbrake after landing before the non-handling pilot starts the after landing checks. As P2 it's quite a stretch to stow the speedbrake whilst operating the tiller, and would be quite easy to advance #1 throttle.
There are a lot of variations on this from what I've observed. As you know, many airlines don't allow the P2 to operate the tiller at all these days, in the U.S. even widebodies often have the right tiller removed. The FO operating the speedbrake is like the captain operating the flaps, you have to look and reach around two or more throttles (a lot of us have done two, three and four over the years). I've bumped a throttle before reaching for flaps, autothrottles are usually engaged and you catch the error pretty quickly in the air. However, I could sure see where a throttle bump at the wrong moment on rollout could sure do you dirty in a big plane.

Last edited by Airbubba; 30th Aug 2008 at 23:04.