PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 - 3
Thread: Jet2 - 3
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 21:15
chickenstrips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facelookbovvered

What’s your insight in to the operations of GSM? Go on, I’m intrigued!

There are more similarities than differences between Jet 2 and GSM. We both operate the same Boeing mixed fleets, fly short to medium haul sectors aimed at the holiday market, both position empty a/c, hotac crew, have our fair share of tech issues and probably pay, near-as-damn it, the same cost/ltr for gas!

What’s your point??

The holiday charter market from Scotland has been very big for many years – it’s the one thing most Scot’s will spend their last pennies on! Globespan, before we were an airline, along with Barrhead Travel and others have been filling planes all year round and will continue to do so!

Business Travel, over the next few years will become less and less. More and more companies are not willing to pay the high costs for last minute tickets with the like of Easy/BA/BMI anymore and if the country does go in to recession, it will stop. As for the shuttle to LHR, you are joking? Have you seen how many flights Big Airways have dropped for the next 12 months? Video conferencing will become the norm, desk-top video calls will become more evident and your two weeks on the beach with your PDA will be even more needed!

I’ll put my neck out and say that I do agree with you. The long haul market from Scotland is limited, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Delta/Conti/Emirates all operate long haul flights to the Middle East and America from Scotland. Zoom and GSM did/do operate to Canada and I believe these flights will commence again with another operator.

I for one feel a merger with Jet 2/GSM would be a good move. Same types, same market with different destinations from different bases and more importantly both have Cargo ops approvals!