PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 - 3
Thread: Jet2 - 3
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 09:40
Facelookbovvered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 will be around for a while

Jet2 put the brakes on its growth last winter and given the dismal profit for 07/08 it was just in time! it claims to be well hedged and this (Summer) if that what you can call it will have given a late boost to booking with a better yield.

By pulling much of its short haul city stuff (MAN-EDI) it can focus on what it does best, the med and the medium haul stuff on the 757 can be profitable. So long as PM isn't allowed by his (poorer) shareholder to go off across the pond then the rest seems ok (trucks, mail & charter) this winter will be tough for all and next summer wont be as easy as this one.

I am not a doom monger but if you think its bad now (the economy) wait until next spring, oil will probably be back below $100pb due to the collapse in demand, but with so many unemployed and probably higher interest rates than now a holiday will be lower down the list, much of this years robustness in pax numbers for all LoCo comes from people have booked early in the year when people thought it couldn't get much worse.

I don't think things are as good at Globespam although the collapse of Zoom might help. The increase in fuel costs will be hurting big style, i think without the MOD Falklands contract and Air India they would be dead already. The management must be a set of clowns up there, mixed fleets one aircraft bases, all the additional costs of hotac & positioning non revenue sectors do they learn nothing from the likes of Easy/Ryanair/bmibaby...........Globespam will burn a lot of cash this winter