PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 19:38
colourblindgeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatport Airwick Tests

There are two lantern tests at Gatwick.

Holmes wright - two lights, one above the other. Alternates Green, White and Red with different hues. That means that it could put a red at the bottom and swap a light green for a dark white. It is designed to catch you out but you cant plan for that except to know that the hues change.

The Beyne lantern - flashes one light at a time. A red, dirty white, green, blue yellow/orange. The white can look like green or the yellow orange. It is not a clear bright white.

If you want a practice, go to City Uni, who will do a comprehensive assessment, although they do have Holmes Wright, they dont have the Beyne.

What City will do is give you a really accurate understanding of your type of CVD. My understanding is that any protanomolous, even very mild like me, will always fail the lanterns. If you are dutanomolous, you have a chance of passing. Mine is very mild protan, but I still failed the Spectrolux by 1 - i.e. 23 out of 14. It can still catch you out too. The lights are bigger, so I found it easier. A protanomolous will really fluff the Holmes Wright.

I have a PPL, and love flying at dusk with a 'colour normal' instructor, just to remind me that I have extremely mild CVD and I am not colourblind.

Keep us posted. If you fail, then send me a private message. We need as many people to battle against the CAA on this subject.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. I personnally never want to see any young mans dream shattered by these antiquated and irrelevant rules and I will battle this until the day I cannot climb into an aircraft.

Also, my thanks to everyone that has posted in the last few days. It is fantastic to see this activity again.