PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 - 3
Thread: Jet2 - 3
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2008, 16:24
retrosgone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always hard to know what is going on behind the scenes in any company. All I can say, as a "mere employee" and airframe driver, is that on all the routes I have flown this year the load factors have been noticeably better than over the past 3 or 4 years.

Jet 2 do not have more aircraft than last year (as stated previously on this thread). In fact, there are 3 fewer than last summer, when you take into account the very expensive wet leases we had during the period of rapid expansion. A good number of underperforming routes have been ditched, and a lot more charters have been evident in my rosters.

Fuel costs are a major concern for everyone, though at least jet2 are hedged well ahead, and therefore can work out costs, charges and fares with some degree of confidence. At the moment, despite increased fares etc, the public still appear to be treating their holidays as a high priority. If that changes, then we are all in trouble - and that includes the high cost base majors (who are capable of sustaining heavy losses in the medium term, but not indefinitely).

To summarise, there is certainly no air of impending doom about the place. It could even be argued that jet2, possibly as much through luck as through judgement, is better positioned than many in these uncertain times.