PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SE Turbine time
Thread: SE Turbine time
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 22:12
dash 27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE CX minimums

When my career started, all i wanted to do is fly for cathay. I flew piston floatplanes and loved it. With miles away from the requirements i applied and received the standard PFO, and advice to get turbine or twin time. As it turned out, the company just bought a caravan on amphibs. With 2000 TT i was allowed to ride in the back, and with 4000TT and 2000 water landings i got a go. With 1000 yours on turbines i sent an update, and was told that they mean to say twin time or multi turbine. So i was back to square one. I since flew twin otters on floats and lived the expat life with a family along for the ride. I figure that might offer some bonus points with the family living away from home and the attrition of wives hating HK. I had friends retired as checkys and even in as checkys, and now I am on a jet, I never got the call even to this day.

If you want to fly jets, it won't help. If you want to fly floats then turbine time is gold if you want to fly bigger ones, and a caravan, turbo otter/beaver is the best single rating you can do. My turbine time and float time with a bare twin rating was the priority when I got my twin turb job. Its different i know, but i feel worthy of mentioning here.

best wishes