PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 04:41
benjamino8888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id just like to add my story onto this

i have never noticed or had cause for concern about my colour vision until i relised i wanted to be a pilot. i made the first step by seeing an aviation doctor whom did some basic tests. this included giving me the ishiara plates. i subsiquently failed these but when i told him i did not notice he began pointing colours out around the room and asking what they were. his answer was your problem doesnt seem to be noticable and i should be fine with the lantens at gatwick.
i failed both lantens but only slightly i.e i can tell easily the differnce between red/green and red/ white. but on a few occasions when the hues changed i got some green/white wrong. now i couldnt help but think if the lights were just one metre closer i could see them as they seemed a little blurred at a distance.
i wont give up because even though i accept i have a problem i know it will not affect my ability to recognise the actual signal lights used by aircraft. i have spent hours in an ATC tower and can perfectly distingusih all the runway and taxi lights. i have been in the cockpit a few times and have no problem recognising the approach lights.
what the CAA are doing is discriminating against people that could clearly do the job. the only way i will give up is if i practically prove im unsafe i.e im in a cockpit actually looking at lights i need to do the job flying in an aircraft with an examiner with me asking me to identify the lights.

now i have read very helpful threads on the spectrolux but what i want to know it how far away is the spectrolux from yourself when you take the test and are the lights bigger that the holmes wright?
and also as a last resort does anyone have any more info on SODAs and where to take this test?

hope someone can help!