PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polar/Atlas The Saga Continues
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2008, 03:22
anothercargopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe_tommy, you said: " Today, junior Atlas crewmembers are working at least 21 days a month."

You are incorrect. I am a "junior Atlas pilot". I have only been extended one day in two separate months this year. It is impossible for the company to schedule you against your will greater than 21 days. 17 + 4 involuntary extensions is the MAXIMUM. But you will say what about travel to and from work? Well, that works both ways too. I have been home well before I was scheduled to be home "on paper" and sometimes it has taken longer.

Many months this year I have had standby days where I could have been forced to sit in base but the company skeds has let me have residence standby. Sometimes I need to go to base.

The company has to pay a decent premium to extend you beyond 17 days which I will be the first to agree is not enough, but that is an issue for our negotiating committee and they know my feelings on the subject.

There are always those who would rather chase the almighty buck than have a life outside of Atlas. That is their choice. Those folks are at every company. They call skeds and say they are available to be "extended" whether involuntary or not. Again, their choice because the contract permits it.

Don't confuse commuting to this job with other airline jobs. A good many pilots with other companies commute on their own time and on the jumpseat or space available or offline. With Atlas I can live anywhere in the US and get a bought and paid for ticket to where I need to start. If the plane I commute on is delayed or breaks, NOT my fault. Commuting is a sacrifice you make to live where you want. With Atlas you can darn near live ANYWHERE in the world. From ANC to NYC, SYD/MEL to BKK, Greece, Poland, Italy, England, South America. There are folks here that live all over and make it work.

Atlas is NOT perfect, but it is a good job with some great crews and we are hiring. I agree with TheMessenger. At least those of us at Atlas and Polar have jobs. One shouldn't complain when EVERY major is stagnating or reducing their fleet size and MOST are furloughing.

If Cato has really resigned, I know there are lots of toasts around the world wishing him "interesting days ahead".

Cheers