PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Dolomiti ATR catches fire in Munich (25 Aug 2008)
Old 26th Aug 2008, 10:33
shotpeened

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down munich U/C fire

I suppose the prime aim is to emergency-evacuate as quickly as possible. I suppose some early-exiting able-bodied passenger who happened to grab an extinguisher on the way out could easily have beaten the fire services to it. Would that have been preferable in the circumstances? One kept wondering what was the temperature of the fuel tank above the fire. But the combination of passengers sauntering around the aircraft is frightening. A good bossy flight attendant with a megaphone was badly needed to speed things up. And the front escape system is surely an ankle breaker, although I suppose a damaged ankle is preferable to fear of being burnt. There are clearly lessons to be learned from this, as there was from the Manchester 73 fire years ago. So many people killed on an aircraft that never left the runway. As for the 60 seconds shown from the start of the film to the arrival of the fire trucks, I wonder what the response time was from the moment the crash button was struck by the controller. This film must be a teaching tool for all airlines.