PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ptc Irl Skills Assessment
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 15:02
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear another integrated vs. modular debate. Lets try and put this one to bed as quickly as possible with a few facts.

There is only 1 major airline in the UK and Ireland that only takes low hour pilots from an integrated course. Its called BA. Every other airline has taken modular low houred students AS WELL AS integrated.

The majority of integrated students from Oxford are however NOT going to BA. They are going to FR. That means they are paying whatever an integrated course costs plus funding a 737 type rating on top.

Aer Lingus, Aer Arran, Air Southwest, BMI, FR, Thomson, Flybe (I could list them all but I can't be bothered typing) have all taken modular students over the past 5 years or so that I have been following the industry.

You can do the maths yourselves as to whether an integrated course or the modular way is cheaper or not. You can also read the thousands of threads on pprune over the years and see the myriad of different ways in which people like myself have gotten jobs.

The only advantage that I see an integrated course offers is if your heart is set on going around the Bovingdon hold. If thats the case then you will need to be in the top of your class AND be lucky enough to graduate at a time when BA are recruiting AND of course be referred by your instructors. Then there is the small matter of a few entry tests to pass.

If you have the cash to burn then feel free to throw it at an integrated course. Please don't go there (or come on here for that matter) thinking that you will be guaranteed a job because you stand no better or worse chance of getting a job than someone that has gone modular. And if you go integrated thinking that you will get BA then you must be feeling lucky in which case I would suggest buying a lottery ticket as well.