PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ptc Irl Skills Assessment
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2008, 09:21
leftbank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aptitude and Training

I'm sure you folk know best. However, believe it or not, aptitude tests have been carefully scrutinised by independent bodies and have been found to be one of the tools that can assist in the pilot selection process; written tests, psychometric analysis, group exercises and interviews are others. I know of 3 well known airlines that will only take low hours candidates from integrated course cadet programmes or from approved FTOs on the specific recommendation of the HoT. By all means get a PPL before entering professional training, it's fun and gives you some idea of your potential. Beyond that, look at the airline employment statistics for the path you next follow. If you go down the modular route, you are more likely to have to move into FI or air taxi work before being considered by an airline. There are no guarantees with an integrated course, but more people seem to get taken on by airlines from those courses than from elsewhere. Right now, there is no shortage of low hours applicants to airlines. So, airlines will pick and choose to get what they believe to be the best recruits. Nothing new there and few signs of change over the next few years, I would have thought.