PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closed tower, RPT & GA
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2008, 08:30
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icarus

I have, as a result of my researches, twice put to CASA that the VFR syllabus should include not just the approx 2 hours IF flight but a basic understanding of IFR procedures and why they are 'different' particularly when the Wx is flyable but nothing special. The theory side could be reinforced during the post-first-solo-navex (i.e. navex 5 and 6). This picks up your point about IFR tracking points also.

Interesting when examining JS at AV there is also a reciprocal loss of tracking info because the RPT guys are not using VFR charts = unaware VFR waypoints.

Students learn the Otto engine cycle (handy when it fails ), the precise stalling speed increase in a turn as bank increases to one decimal place (anyone ever done the calculation under normal VFR flight?) yet not something critical to safe operations where RPT and GA mix like basics of what the other party is doing.

Under the CASA changes you will soon be calling at 8 minutes which is plenty of time for SA. Perhaps the call should be ABC 30 Nm / 8 minutes - again to reinforce the closure?

I'm pleased to note the balance in your post - got to break down the fictitious barrier that exists between RPT/GA and GA/RPT in some cases.