PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines B-737NG pilot's looking for work
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 14:50
Tooloose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, since a little explanation seems to be needed I will try to clarify the point I intended to make.
1. I have no problem with bburks or anybody else seeking work anywhere in the world if they need to or want to. I have worked outside my own country in the past for a number of years. Bburks did not suggest, as some claim, that he needs to do so to feed his family. He would just like a little new experience for a year or so. I have no problem with this either and I wish him well in his quest.
2. I have nothing but admiration for the long standing policy of the US pilots' unions in ensuring that "overseas" pilots do not have easy access to employment in the US. This is the only way they can protect their conditions of employment from being undermined further.
3.I have a problem with European pilots inviting others to come and take up command positions in Europe at a time when Europe has plenty of pilots being laid off from command positions, having their promotions delayed or simply seeking their first job.
4.Ask yourselves why is MOL sending a recruiting roadshow to US airlines when he is putting his own pilots on short time or laying them off. Who will gain and who will lose from this?
5.I do not need a job in the US myself as I am approaching retirement after a long and very satisfying (for me) career. My question was merely a rhetorical one, designed to show our European colleagues, who seem willing to undermine and/or sacrifice their own colleagues' careers and conditions, how the sensible US pilots deal with a European pilot seeking work in the US. The Americans reacted exactly as expected and I admire and respect them for it. They are doing no more than looking after No. 1 as well as they can. It is ,though, rather difficult to understand the howls of indignation and streams of vitriol when ensue if someone else suggests doing the same.
6.I have nothing aganst America or Americans. In fact I have bought a house there and look forward to spending some of my time there when retired.
7. And yes, I know there are some Europeans working in the US.

Last edited by Tooloose; 23rd Aug 2008 at 23:13.