PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules Military and civy differences.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 01:34
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that the Hyd system on the C 130 has no redundancy.......................a very dangerous machine all round. I loved jumping from them though during many nite time ops.

That is possibly the most stupid comment I have ever heard ... I have been working and flying on Hercs for the last 9 years, If anything has system redundancy the Hercules has... 2 completely seperate duel hydrualic systems for the primary flying controls, then manual reversion, the utility system has full mechanical over-ride should the electrics fail, so you can still get the flaps and gear down, and also have manual wind-down for the flaps and landing gear. If it STILL dosn't work you can free fall the gear, and if it STILL dosn't work you can disconnect the screwjacks and allow the gear to fall under it's own weight....

The aircraft can fly on one engine at a push, and will work with zero power, as the engines are fully mechanical. So I think I would rarther be on a Herc than any other aircraft in dire straights.