PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger boarding without flight crew - what does your airline do ? ....
Old 21st Aug 2008, 08:45
42psi

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts
No problems. The engineers have it. If the APU shuts down or there is a fire, automatic discharge of APU fire extinguisher occurs and external alarms ring.
Thanks for that Rainboe .... the airfield where I am these days keeps complaining about this at safety meetings. My previous experience had been that it was OK but then the engineers were always close by. In this case they can be 1/2 mile away on another pier.

Obviously some Countries/Airlines must have different ways of doing it.
Yep, and sometimes it's folks who don't know better or don't really know what the rules are.

I worked for the shamrock for 17.5 years and from memory the the process for pax boarding without flight deck crew and/or while fuelling with pax on board were clearly laid out.

This didn't prevent some "discussion" from time to time with airports/handling agents who objected.

In some cases the airport had rules about not fuelling with pax boarding without "fire cover" ... sometimes that meant simply alerting the fire service and sometimes a fire vehicle at the a/c. But that could vary day to day when someone not sure would just object (often the handling agent) and say it couldn't be done.

Exactly the same for pax boarding without flight deck crew.