PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2008, 08:43
NamelessWonder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WIth regard to the El Mundo Images (I'm not even going to comment on their insensitivity to the injured and bereaved!) a couple of points that seem obvious to me, but have not been commented on:-

1. In picture 1, There appears to be a section of main wing in the foreground with the tailplane in the background resting on the downslope of the gully (note, this assumes we are seeing the image from the rear i.e. point of arrival). Would I be right in thinking that this would suggest that the aircraft broke up before it reached the gully, rather than from the impact of the sudden descent (assuming, of course that some other factor didn't move the wing-section)?

2. In picture 2, aparet from the fuselage section being removed by crane (which would seem questionable in itself, as per previous posts) all of the debris seems to be in very small pieces - not what I recall having seen from other t/o crash images, where fuselage (and wing sections etc) remains largely intact, if broken and burned. Would this not support the probability of a high-speed, or very violent impact, rather than a "pancake" or "slide".. If so, this would seem to support the previous suggestion that the a/c got airborne and was not in the process of an RTO.

Speculation I know, but from what is evident rather than witness accounts.

A sad day for all.