PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lack of radar service Offshore/Multilateration
Old 19th Aug 2008, 21:31
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
RT congestion on 135.175 is certainly a big issue, as I mentioned before, largely due to the procedural nature of the service. As well as multilat, there is also a proposal to split 135.175 into 2 frequencies, thus presumably halving the RT traffic on each frequency. I think that is suffering from the same problem - difficulty in installing the extra rebros equipment offshore due to lack of availability of offshore time/beds etc.

In the mean time I am probably as guilty as the next man of turning the radios down to barely audible simply because I cannot stand the constant howls of crossed transmissions etc

ATCO, it must be annoying when crews don't respond to your first call, but please bear in mind that, unlike you guys who get regular breaks from the audio mayhem, the pilots who are failing to respond to you might have been constantly at it for 6 or 7 hours without a break from the noise. It gets wearing!

Splitting rebros, and installing multilat will improve our lot significantly, not so much for preventing a mid-air, but for cutting down the stress of the constant chat that we have to listen to all the time (for fear of encountering wrath following a missed call!)

HC