PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2008, 09:38
windytown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help but ask if Tiger should look at the suitability of its product offering to the OZ market. While the Ultra low cost model may work for Ryanair (whose seat pitch is better than Tiger's) it did not work with Skybus in the US where Southwest, Jetblue etc had set a high benchmark. In addition Ryanair (and Easyjet)had a first mover advantage in Europe which Tiger definitely does not in OZ.
From what I can see Tiger has designed its product to be so low end, its seat pitch so tight, its checkin closeoff times less convenient to busy people, and its BYOB menu less appealing than DJ or Jetstar, it will find it very hard to ever get the sort of yields say Virgin or even Jetstar gets. Having yields that low can't be good long term.
Also I notice the A319s will often be deployed on routes which have had A320 flying, and in some cases are providing frequency and other reduced capacity. This semes different to opening up new routes to regional centres as their CEO had earlier claimed. I realise the three are not muutally exclusive, but all the same.