PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford
Thread: Oxford
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 14:27
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
You're 19. You've got plenty of time.

My personal opinion, if you don't have glamourous A levels and the rest of it, I wouldn't bother with an integrated course at this time.

No point in being locked into a flying training programme that might dump you into a bad time for hiring. Why bother shelling out an additional £20K for a type rating when you don't [i[have[/i] to? (Reading between the lines with the Oxford guys going to Ryanair)

Yes I can imagine how keen you're are to get amongst it, try out for some cadetships that are available, it shouldn't cost much (if any thing at all) and that'll give you a pretty good feel about how you'll get on. Better still, contact GAPAN and do their assessment. This way you're still moving forward but now you have a better idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

Oxford isn't the only school with contacts. All schools have contacts, it's a matter how you perform and get on with it. eg Bristol Flying Centre has produced some exceptional pilots who are now TRIs etc but they don't splash the advertising with that fact.

Many of us are waiting to see how this year pans out fuel price wise and general pax market wise to see what's going to happen recruitment wise.
If 2008 finishes ok, then it'll probably be about 2 or so years before hiring begins (in ernest) again for low houred guys. If 2008 doesn't finish well, economically and fuel price wise, it'll be 4 years or so.

If things aren't good, you'll need to be prepared to go back to your old job (and being a sparky means you should be able to) or think outside the jet FO job and head to Africa, Caribbean and or instruct. What you don't want is an evil debt to service.

I have absolutely no ties with any school or training organisation. I already have a cool job flying a nice jet.

Good luck, the view's great.