PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monthly ATCOs salaries in Europe
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 12:29
SINGAPURCANAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those Spanish unions certainly know how to negotiate
Certanly,
But at the top of everything I think that it is more "cultural","regional",and 'political" indentity issue.
It might be diffucult to explain but I will try.
There are at least two different approach to life. "Northern" and "South".
Also many others "types" and 'subtypes" exist but for this issue those two are the most interesting.
If we compare just two recent cases USA and Spain it will be easily understood.
USA- understuffed,No possibility for industrial action,too much work, no holidays(or just seven days per year) ,very bad enter salary and so on.
Spain- quite opposite.
Have they achieved it only with union negotiations or something else?
Something elese is key.
I am living in South Europe,but I have an opportunity to see other side of story.
i can't understand sentence (here on pprune pages): my manager canceled my holiday,a few days before holiday starts.
I would like to see that manager(here in SE) who would do it more than once!
Easy way of life is something more ussual here.
It is very indicative that many of "Northern" ANSPs has simmilar problems, I will name just a few of them: FAA,NAV Canada, Avinor,Denmark,IAA, DFS, Austrocontrol... All of them are connected to similar problems:understuffed and everything related to this issue.
I have been informed recently (more informal) that Austrocontrol union accept next sentence in their new contracts: Minimum working hours e.g.156 maximum not determined. correct me if I am wrong but if it is true just explain me what are difference between slaves and Austrian ATCOs.
Also I will add to those group of countries two very South (from my point of view ) Australia and NZ. But they belong to "Northern" type.Very similar cases with very similar solutions.
What is the most interesting for me is the fact that citizens of above mentined countries are in quite better position than myself. They have possibility to move whenever they want especially if they are ATCOs. I will give you two days of my life to undestand what kind of possibilities you have to consider as a good will of mighties.
But I will never understand union and associations that allow things like we may see and read at those pages. TIBA,chronic understuffed,no holidays, call on day off, single person operations, more than 2/3 hours on frequency without rest,non competetive salaries ...
I think that only people living and working in such enviroment could change it.
But changes must occur in their heads.
If they realise that living is more important than working!

To avoid any missunderstanding I sometimes regret over the fact that some solution in my contract are never close to Norvegian one but I am going every my dayli shift to drink coffe in the town 5 km away.
There may be only three reasons to omit such "procedure"
1.I am on my holiday leave
2.I am on my day off
3. My contract has expired
I will appreciate other side of story if any,to correct myself in future.