PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford
Thread: Oxford
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2008, 18:30
SlingsbyT67M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxford

Glad to see you haven't changed a day Bajadj

Ground school at Oxford was excellent and fantastic. Note, you will have to put the work in and YES you will use Bristol to prepare for the exams. Thats just the way it works.

Cant comment on the flying side of things as I decided not to do my flying with Oxford for the following reasons:

- Very big organization and from what I have been told by ex class mates a little disorganised (but hey they did get their CPL completed in a reasonable period of time). Its important to note that I completed my hours for an IR (55 hours) in the same time period as they have done their CPL's (15 hours)
- COST!!!!! I am a modular student. Waypoint at Oxford is ridiculously expensive - £33K if you take into account accommodation in Goodyear and all the other hidden costs. My IR and CPL are costing me £15K. I still cant understand how Oxford can send their students to Goodyear (which is all round cheaper for them) and still be so ridiculously expensive. In my case almost 110% more expensive. Oh, and before I get the old argument about the quality of instructors I should point out my tuition to date has been better than amazing. I fly 3-4 hours a day (sim and aircraft). I enjoy the luxury of a 3-1 instructor/student ratio and my pre and post briefs are better than expected.
- Being a modular student at Oxford means nothing. Its a little like being allowed to wear the uniform but hey you just ain't part of the club. Following this route means Oxford will do nothing for you when you graduate, i.e. help looking for a job. Thats reserved for their integrated students. However I have also been speaking with a good few recent graduates from Oxford who have come to learn that the Oxford name just isn't what it used to be. I now understand that doors don't open if you graduated from Oxford as an integrated student. So, before putting the 80K down don't listen to the hype and think very carefully about what you want to do.

Whatever you do consider all your options, make the right choice for you and then hang on and enjoy the ride.