PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Descent
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2008, 10:24
Atreyu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAT5

"2. Following good CRM practices, whereby you include ATC in the loop, would you declare a MayDay and request a descent clearance, or just throw a dropping brick onto ATC radar screens who would then scream at you to maintain level? You would then have to explain why you are dropping out of the sky. Why not emply good teamwork and wait a few seconds. No-ones going to die form O2 starvation, but they might from a rushed procedure and ATC confusion"

To use the old adage of Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, I would have to say getting the aircraft to a level where use of oxygen equipment is no longer required is probably the most important factor. TUC even in the thirties is measured in seconds, and considering how difficult crew communication is when using the masks it's best all round to get to FL100 (or MSA)

I would have to agree that turning isn't something that would cross my mind, indeed during my last OPC we never turned the aircraft during emergency descent (SOP doesn't specify a turn) and hopefully TCAS II will look after vertical seperation. Setting 7700 will help ATC to move other aircraft away, and the advantage is that it's ATC setting the headings, not a descending aircraft at -6000fpm turning 90 deg right or left! At least if you stay on heading ATC can predict where your going to be in 1,2 or 3 minutes...

Atreyu