PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TTMRA and differences between rules
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2008, 12:52
glekichi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TTMRA and differences between rules

Having converted my licence under the TTMRA and moved (home) to Australia earlier this year, I still at times find the odd difference in the rules that pops up and catches me by surprise. I notice now that Qlink want NZ candidates to have passed ATPL law and IREX (IFR) exams even though theres no regulatory requirement.

It would be nice if a differences manual of sorts was published, because its not easy to read through ALL of the rules and regulations when you know the vast majority of them, to find the few minor differences.

But ... that aint gonna happen, so I though it would be interesting to share and discuss here. Ive added a few to get started but Im really interested to see what others have noticed - and hope I havent missed anything major.

1. Departure call at class D aerodromes.
I find it really odd that I need to tell the tower where Im going, only a minute or so after he has cleared me and Ive read back that clearance. (VFR)

2. Route MSA is known as LSALT
Six of one and half a dozen of the other, but also note that there arent specified MEAs or MRAs, because its quite normal to not have navaid reception!

3. Definition of VMC
In NZ, within a CTR only 500ft vertical separation from cloud is required, but 1000ft in a CTA. In Australia its 1000ft in both. In Australia the vis required in class G is 5000m, even in the circuit of an uncontrolled aerodrome. Within the circuit in NZ 1500m is ok (but perhaps a little silly). Finally, special VFR is only allowed down to 3000m vis in OZ, as opposed to 1500m in NZ.

At least a TAF is a TAF - That won me a carton of beer in an argument with an instructor!