PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines B-737NG pilot's looking for work
Old 12th Aug 2008, 21:42
Jox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stator vane,

In your opinion Tooloose & I are righteous prats, I can live with your considered opinion as I clearly resemble such a puerile remark.

This is what I do for a living, contrary to others I am incredibly proud of what I do and have been in the industry since I was 20. When I was younger I used to wonder at the opinions of those who worked around me but realised over time that cut throat companies have succeeded in eroding terms and conditions that make people like me who will stand for a open, honest and fair playing field of competition be referred to as dinosaurs.

This industry, my industry, your industry is in a time of great flux. I have no great concern if your company goes belly up in these difficult economic times, Lord knows yours has eroded sufficient of the terms and conditions that others of us see as worth fighting for having been employed these years with them to perceive the benefit in fighting to maintain them.

I have no worry if your job were to be taken by an ex-United pilot, I would wish him good luck to be able to work for an outfit that will allow him to work with the licence he holds. When it's you or him and he is cheaper, please do not expect Tooloose and me to be fighting for you.

Have a look at other people’s opinion on the company I believe you work for. Pretty much sums it up for me. Righteous I may be in your opinion but I have worked a long time to get what I believe I deserve, those your age in my company fought hard to ensure I would be in a position to benefit from reasonable terms & conditions and would survive to receive it.

If you are happy doing what you are doing for those who you do it for then smile sweetly and be grateful for still being able, there are those amongst us that will allow others who we cannot compete against to be competitors in our own back yard even if we cannot work for their old employers.

That for me is unacceptable, you are clearly happy to do so. Such is your right of opinion but I do not believe you will see me resort to name calling, I am professional and I would be grateful if you would respect the opinion of others without taking your opinion as being the one that counts.

A job is a job, we all need one, I am grateful for mine and also for the T & C’s I do it under, none of us are safe, those days have gone but if you and yours continue then the industry is far more at risk than for what little you work for now.

An apology if this strikes a chord or upsets you but I am exercising my right to respond to your comment, you are clearly as cut-throat as your company with terms & conditions.

For me, I will still be low & slow and doing my best for fair renumeration, for fair T & C's, a reasonable pension, paid for crew meals, drinks, uniform and everthing else that comes from a reputable outfit.

If you were that good and prepared to fight for it I am sure you would be sat to my right.