PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 21:37
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shy:

It seems quite clear, (to me anyway), that the memorial is towards the left side of your first picture. I say that because, when compared with your second picture, the long building higher on the hill is clearly identifiable in both. The square is the memorial, the rectangle is the long building and the arrow is the direction the picture was taken, give or take a few degrees.

In fact, with all our failing memories, I think that the memorials location is the least difficult thing to deal with...

Mushroom:

Nice pictures... They confirm that the treelines really haven't changed - which in some ways surprises me yet in other ways doesn't. Either way i find it somewhat amazing...

The second two of them are at height, clearly from an aircraft. Can you remember the circumstances? (Coming in to land, taking off, which door, front seat - left or right). It would help me confirm my recollections that ladings/take-offs at Salamanca were almost always North/South oriented with the predominance being South to North. That would go a long way to placing the crash site where I believe it is... or not - which is fine too.

PS: I'm stealing copies for my personal collection - if you don't mind.

[EDIT]

Mushroom:

Never mind... as I was "stealing" the pictures I noticed the rotor blade in the top right of the first picture... They are a series taken as the aircraft took off and transitioned away from Salamanca. You were in the left door. The aircraft had landed from the south and was taking off towards the north. While not being statistically significant as far as sample sizes go it doesn't really prove anything but it helps a lot where old memories are concerned. Thanks...

[/EDIT]

Last edited by Airborne Aircrew; 9th Aug 2008 at 21:54.