PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2008, 14:52
ewe.lander

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Paul,

I was a Loadie on the crew that handed over to your Dad and Nige Storey - both top top men. We then departed to UK, after the crash we went to the funeral (I was pall bearer for Nige) then we went straight back to Belize to help the detachment out. Morale was through the floor for a while - but 230 always was a strong squadron and we got on with things. It took a while to restore confidence again in the dear old Puma, but we got there.

Long time ago but as you stood on the track looking up at the 'Attap' huts the crash site was down to the right. The Puma took off to the left from that position, it was assumed at the time it suffered a single engine failure which at the time would have presented the 2 Pilots (also thoroughly great blokes) with auto pilot out, half lighting and various electrical snags. they apparently turned downwind right and attempted to put the Puma back on the deck. Salamanca was in a 'bowl' feature and extremely black, the rest become assumptions - suffice to say we lost great men that night.

I was proud to work for your Dad Paul - a bloody good man. Best regards, Ewe