PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CJ2 pitch power settings
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2008, 22:22
CJ Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir Thomas - although the earlier answers may have seemed a bit flippant compared to what you were expecting, there is a considerable element of truth to them. That really is how you fly a CJ (and yes, I have also flown other types where I carefully memorised the power and pitch numbers).

The CJ's with the Proline screens have the incredibly useful magenta speed trend line on the tapes, and with practice you will learn to manage the trend line with throttle, rather than flying constant speed. This is especially important at larger airports where the CJ's low V speeds would be considered a problem if you flew down the ILS at Vapp!

Having said that, for those few situations when you are not flying one of (1) max climb power, (2) max cruise power, or (3) max power that avoids the barber pole , the other two power settings used by CJ pilots are (1) 70% N1, which is a general purpose "clean, but not going flat out" power setting, and (2) 60% N1, which is "I'm slowing down on the approach".

These are ballpark settings though, and I would have to say that once I've started power reduction on the descent, all the way to touchdown, on most flights I don't look at the N1 gauges at all. (But for 733driver - yes I do move the throttles; the CJ's start clean and fast on initial approach, and end up slow and draggy for touchdown - each configuration change therefore also involves a power change, usually adding power, but that change is made by looking at the ASI tape, not the N1 gauge).