PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2008, 12:29
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm really confused... which is probably all my fault.

In the mid 80's when I walked around the crash site it was in the jungle/forest itself about 10-15 yards off a track on the left hand side. While I have to own up to almost zero recollections of Salamanca until a few minutes ago I seem so clear about this in my mind.

So I started digging... The first thing I did was to try to find a satellite photo of Salamanca to try to reorient myself. Salamanca, (which seems now to be Salamanca Forestry Camp), is at N16.281 W89.022, (In Google Earth enter 16.281 -89.022). Google Earth etc. only have very low res. images of that region but it did, immediately, jog my memory as to where it was and the road running through it.

I did some more digging and found some photographs of Salamanca in the 80's. One particular picture stood out. It was uploaded a by a chap calling himself Oaksey who seems to have been a refueller. The picture is of his refuelling hut, the two pads and the road running away into the jungle.

Now, I might be wrong but my memory says that just past the very last palm trees on the left side of the track/road where it disappears are the high trees where the aircraft came down. I do clearly remember the high trees and the low undergrowth that covered much of the small pieces of the wreckage that were never removed.

What confuses me is the location of the memorial in the photo. My mind tells me that, unless there was a lot of cutting back of the trees, the memorial is some distance from the actual crash site.

Can anyone help an old man's fading memory... Because I have very clear memories of so many other places but, for some reason, Salamanca is all gone.