PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantaslink Traineeship/Cadetship/General Employment
Old 6th Aug 2008, 02:44
1000togo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SemperFly,

I have to say I find the content of your postings somewhat bizzar. There’s a fair amount of anger there for someone who “actually likes their job and looks forward to going flying most days”.

I am not a “kiddie” rather someone with over 1000 hours who, having been shafted by flying in early 2002, gave away flying for something that would pay the bills. The Qlink training program represented a great way back into something I missed dearly. I was given a conditional offer that meant renewing my expired IR and finishing my ATPLs. I, like eternity, left employment to do this. Before doing so I explained my situation to Qlink and made sure they knew what I was giving up for a chance to fly for them. I was told on several occasions that “they would be running a course a month until the end of the year” and not to worry “as soon as I met the conditions of my offer I would be put on a course”.

Now I understand aviation, I’ve seen enough to know there is no such thing as a ‘sure thing’, but what has gotten to me is the assurances made by Qlink, then the sudden about-face. In my original conational offer there was no mention of being put into a competitive hold, and if there was any doubt the minds of Qlink management that the program might not go the distance, then this should have been made clear from the outset. I now find myself much worse off than before being given the offer, and I am not alone. I know several others in the same position.

Now, getting back to SemperFly. You say the traineeship has not been cancelled. Well true, officially it has not been cancelled, but at last count there was between 60-80 conditional offers made for the traineeship. With no courses until next year (at the earliest), and places on those courses severally curtailed, do you think all of those people will be offered a course? No, of course they won’t. Then you say that the trainee program is actually working pretty well for what it is supposed to accomplish. Well, yes and no. I think you will find that the only trainees who are currently doing line training are the first batch to gone though the course back in March! The rest are delayed for one reason or another.

Finally SemperFly, I do not think the world owes me a job just because I applied for one, but I do think that Qlink owes those of us with conditional offers some form of explanation. I have kept my end of the bargain, is it really too much for me to expect Qlink to do the same?