PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground Collision @ Manchester 05/08/08
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 21:07
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frenchie almost meets Spaniard...and turns again

When I was a kid (some decades ago) two well-knarled thirty year experienced tractor boys well known as regulars in the village pub (each with a newish Fordson tractor - one with white mudguards and one with blue) took years to live down the fact that they had managed a head-on collision whilst ploughing adjacent lands in the same forty acre field.

At LEZG the other evening I watched a 747 freighter taxy on to the massive apron and get into a hell of a pickle working out which way round to park in the vicinity of the two (only) other (passenger) aircraft - I was given to looking directly up his/her four jetpipes at one point and thought of the TopGear jet blast experiment amongst other things...YouTube - top gear- Jetblast but il ou elle sensibly kept the taps on a low setting for this one at Zaragoza ...

Anyway, just prior to that I could swear his/her starboard wingtip had got perilously close to going over the port wing of one of the two lesser aircraft, but then I was relatively safely inside the terminal building swallowing a beer and was just marvelling at what kind of Aena ground control could cause such kit to be doing tyre scraunching incomplete figures of eight in the only congested corner of continuous, level, hard, quite new concrete out of about a hundred vacant hectares of the stuff right outside the terminal window.

I am afraid some people sometimes just fail to bound their actions, do dumb things, some of which go unnoticed and some of which don't, and no amount of after the event analysis is going to teach us a lot about avoiding it or them for the future...but if I remember correctly it was only one San Miguel so could have been small beer in my case