PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe E190 Incident At IOM
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 11:53
bigmustard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excrab
The Q400 rear steps are not used in a full emergency evacuation - the front ones are because there is no choice, as you know, they operate with the door opening.

A Precautionary Rapid Disembarkation, however, is not a full emergency evacuation and should be used when the situation sensibly permits. The idea is to get people off the aircraft rapidly without baggage etc if it is assessed that there is no risk in doing so. To put 75 year old granny out the rear exit when it is not necessary is not very clever. Whilst it was the correct action in the IOM (because the crew decided so) the injuries sustained were all due to the use of the slides. Not having read my NOTACS (naughty boy!) I was suggesting that the PRD could have been a useful tool, had it been permitted (to then be corrected that it is )

Once again - it depends on the circumstances - if there is any doubt then get them out, but, if it is safe to do so the PRD is the way ahead. That is a CRM/MCC issue and calls for a sound assessment and good judgement.

If in any emergency event there were fumes or smoke etc visible in the cabin there is no question - get em out!

PRD was included in the 'other halfs' SOP's but disappeared at aquisition - pleased to see it is back too! although I was unaware that it ever previously existed in Flybe SOP's.

Last edited by bigmustard; 5th Aug 2008 at 12:08.