PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantaslink Traineeship/Cadetship/General Employment
Old 5th Aug 2008, 07:42
SemperFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheesh

Oh Krusty get your hand off it. Near as I can tell you work for Rex not QLink, so what would you know about the trainee program anyway.

I do work for QLink so what I can tell you is only what I have heard.
No, the trainee program is not stopping but it is being slowed down considerably.

This is due to the fact that because of the oil price 'crisis', hiring at the majors has slowed down. In addition, this means people are a bit more wary to jump off the top of one seniority list to go to the bottom of another one. These two things combined have meant the projected attrition rates, from say six months ago, are no longer valid as not as many people are leaving given the current climate. Ipso facto fewer people out the door means fewer people are needed coming in the door. For now anyway. What should they do just keep hiring new FOs forever, even though they aren't needed?

The trainee program has trained well over 50 new FOs for QL in the last few months. That is 50 folks that got a hell of an opportunity they wouldn't have gotten a few years back. And by all accounts the training captains working with newbies are very happy with the standard being turned out by the program. So there is no plan to shut it down at all.

But like so many things in life it is all about timing. So Krusty if you can look into your crystal ball and give us all a specific date when hiring will pick up again across the industry I am sure everyone is all ears.

Oh and to you all you generation x, y, z, l, m, n, o p-ers and baby boomers out there, if you think the world owes you a job just because you applied for one I am afraid to say that just isn't how the world works. Not in any industry.

SF

And before you all go slagging me off. No I am not QL management, I am but a humble line pilot with some common sense and a dose of reality.