PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex drama at SYD yesterday
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2008, 06:11
Shapeshifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is about the smoke incident, not the tyre incident.
Yes landof4x, the original post was about a 'smoke' incident.

Consequently it degenerated into comments like this, from an obvious amateur:

must be a good reason for ignoring the fire commander and the smoke?

Didn't they ignore a GA Pilot's warning about a main wheel wobble in BHI ( or some other far flung outback spot ) a couple of months ago too?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
No indication wheel was about to fall off Rex plane: pilot

Central Western Daily

LOCAL flying instructor Ken Pidcock says Regional Express could not have avoided a wheel falling off one of its Saab 340 planes shortly after take-off on Sunday.
The Rex plane lost one of its right-hand dual wheels shortly after taking off from Orange Airport at about 2pm on Sunday.

The Rex flight was still able to land safely in Sydney because the Saab 340 is designed to still operate safely even without one dual wheel.

Mr Pidcock, who operates Orange Ultra-Flight Centre, was taxiing behind the Saab 340 when it took off.

Mr Pidcock has denied claims that it was possible for witnesses to see the wheel was on the verge of falling off before take-off.

“After the plane took off and I saw the wheel fall off I contacted the pilot,” Mr Pidcock said. “He said he’d get back to me in a second.

“No person in Orange was in a better position than me and there’s no indication that anyone in Orange was able to see that wheel was about to fall off.”

An internal Rex investigation has been launched and a report is being prepared for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as it seems that the amateurs are very good at repeating false, unproven and baseless rumours, don't you now think that any statements being thrown around about the 'smoke' incident be treated with just a little skepticism?