PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do trans-atlantic flights navigate?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2001, 18:25
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Deadleg

Fair enough. I suppose we all rose to the various baits being laid.

Sfly

Sorry for misunderstanding the TCAS comments. The position you state later is not how I initially interpreted your original posting. But then that's the benefit of dialogue. Opinions can change.

On the airspace thing, I still think your post is open to question. Do you mean 200 miles after hitting the Oceanic Boundary, or 200 miles after getting your feet metaphorically wet ?? As we're talking aviation, I would take it to mean the Oceanic Boundary. The only way you'd go 200 miles through Oceanic Airspace where ATC is provided by Shannon is if you were exiting the SOTA via 15W. Which of course is entirely feasible via lands End and GAPLI.

In any case, my point was that you believe there is a station called Shannon Oceanic. There isn't. It's ALWAYS Shannon Control, as it's an ATC service provided by a domestic agency. The only area of Oceanic airspace where Shannon provide a service, is the area of the SOTA of which you are obviously well aware. However, the Controlling Authority for that airspace remains SHANWICK Oceanic. The provision of ATS is DELEGATED to Shannon under an international Letter of Agreement. Legal semantics I know but under ICAO we have to do it that way.

F/O Junior

Yeah I get it Unfortunately much of the correct legal detail and trivia is not in the charts, and quite rightly so. I suppose I should try to remember that this is where the pilot gets the innacurate information from sometimes The problem is that in my area I have to work with all the minute levels of detail and international protocol or else the politicians get all upset

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]