PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 100 GPS IFR Legal?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 15:18
ZEEBEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having listened to the odd interesting night exchanges with ASA from whom I think you mean, don't worry, I wont! Amazing to think that a $1.5 million turbo prop could be navigating using a 1991 GPS, probably with the original database, that would be hard pushed to get $50 on ebay these days don't you think?
One of the big advantages of the G100 was that it occupied minimal real estate gave unambiguous display info AND was simple to drive.

If they're still working OK, there's no real reason to chuck them away as they'll probly continue to steam away indefinately.

There's a lot older (approved) ADF equipment in IFR use and they have moving parts not to mention myriads of cables and mostly dodgy connectors that get exposed to water, dust and God knows what else.

That said, it's a game person (read stupid) who trusts the G100 in a full on IFR environment. (aside from the legal connotations)
I repeat, I have seen one in Scotland indicate a position that was 12 klms in error for about half an hour until the erroneous satellite causing the error disappeared from view.