PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finding balance in Multi-IFR: the gutless pussy vs the reckless madman
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 10:40
Sprite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check other wx info. Synoptic charts, weather radar (ground based, BOM site). Very useful. Areas such as the south of the country often have bands passing through, you can wait until the BOM wx radar site shows the storms have passed and know that you're ok for the sector.

ADF tuned to low frequencies will point towards storms. If close to storms you will experience radio static, St Elmo's fire (although these also happen in ice, but also good to get out of!), OAT changes, turbulence, wind direction and speed changes, rain etc, which are a good indicator to turn upwind of said storm by AT LEAST a margin of 10 miles. Some of these may be very late indicators but at least its better than flying through the core of a CB!

At night, you can see lines of storms because of the lightning, and be able to deviate around the line; very useful if the CB's are there because of a front.

As a last resort, i have found ATC to be helpful as they are able to access the BOM site and give you vectors around the storms (if in a radar environment!)

The ARFOR is quite general and a good read of synoptic charts and wx radar will give you a better idea along your specific route.

If in doubt, say no, I doubt any company would have a go at you for not going on a really bad night. Getting people or freight there eventually is the goal, and sometimes the weather is too bad to risk it...no one wants to lose an airframe!

Edit because i said downwind instead of upwind...doh!

Last edited by Sprite; 3rd Aug 2008 at 06:40.