PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 100 GPS IFR Legal?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 00:22
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-XXX

CASA staff have confirmed that the US WAAS correction signal does cover Australia, and they will progressively introduce precision GPS approaches in the future.
Are you sure, can you confirm that?

My information is that there needs to be a ground station in this part of the world to broadcast a correction signal to a communication satellite in order for WAAS to work here, (OZ or NZ).

When I spoke with Airways NZ some time back they were not going to install such a station. I was told by someone else that one ground station located on the Australian east coast, say near Sydney, would cover both countries.

I have heard that ASA are being typically Australian, (viz a viz the 200 MHz DME), and were going to develop a GPS precision approach system that enabled them to charge for the service and then sell it to the rest of the world. Mind you we Kiwis aren’t much better when it come to things like this.

I suspect Airways NZ were also looking for a way to charge for precision GPS approaches.

Unfortunately WAAS does not allow organisations like ASA and Airways to charge a fee, so they don’t have any incentive to put in a ground station.

What it needs is for both regulators to grow some balls and make ASA and Airways NZ provide WAAS to enhance safety.