PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finding balance in Multi-IFR: the gutless pussy vs the reckless madman
Old 1st Aug 2008, 22:43
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends upon the wording of the Sigmets and the types of CBs expected: frontal, heat mass, etc. The types of CBs and Sigmet wording would dictate a route (eg. coastal plains, west of the ranges, stick to the valleys, up high, down low). If I could see a few VFR gaps in the hills around the point of departure, I'd at least get airborne, stay VFR and have a look. If conditions were acceptable and I could then get to the next airport and beyond, I'd continue. If beyond the subsequent airport was then clear, I knew I had a point to return to and would continue with the next airport in mind. When divided into a series of small steps, the big concern over a longer flight into crappy conditions is broken into a series of small almost local flights and not so drastic decisions.

One thing for sure, if I made a decision simply based on how the weather looked in the forecast on all but the worst days, I would have been out of a job several times. The view from the air can provide a lot more information than being on the ground. Most bosses I know would not complain if you got airborne to have a look at the weather, even if you subsequently only did a circuit and had to land again.

Last edited by Lodown; 1st Aug 2008 at 23:03.