PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 31st Jul 2008, 15:12
Day_Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go with the next batch of which one is better !!!
Well I am biased, as I strongly believe in the OAA product, their 2 day selection procedure is very well thought out and balanced.
It gives the candidate an excellent snapshot of themselves, which shows how well prepared the person is for a career in aviation, and a pass will show that the candidate has what is needed to complete the course in the required time and at minimum risk to themselves.
GAPAN tests I am sure are excellent as far as they go, but power for your pound the OAA is better value.

The reply to the question do I think people only go modular after failing selection the answer is NO, but many who do fail try an easier selection, or go modular.
Oxford's Waypoint scheme for modular students is proof of this, and produces some excellent results.

Modular suits some who wish to spread the cost of their training, whilst working to fund each stage of training.
But this is also used as the "cheapo' route with in some cases schools with lower standards and quality control, that is why there will be a tightening of standards and greater oversight by regulating Aviation Authorities.
Ultimately this will lead to higher costs for the modular route narrowing the gap with the integrated or waypoint schemes.

I was an integrated student back in the late 60's and in those days if you could afford to pay you got in, unlike today.

Its a hard cold world out there and one needs to give one's self the best chance to land that first job and although I do not entirely agree with the SSTR route it will be the only game in town soon.

Training on the cheap will in all probability not prepare the student adequately enough for that jump to the right seat on a SSTR course so choose the training establishment with great care, either on the modular route or integrated.

Also the SSTR provider should be looked at carefully, as I know companies who have had to fail or completely re-train already type rated pilots.

DON'T go into an SSTR unless there is a job at the end of the course, and certainly DON'T go there if they only offer the rating and say 150 hours on type, it will be of no use to you when looking for that long term employment.