PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of the J-visa.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2008, 20:41
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FROM FLemplymentLawBlog.com
In a July 11, 2008 statement of policy (73 Fed. Reg. 40008), the U.S. Department of State (“USDOS”) notified the public that effective June 1, 2010, it will exercise its authority under 22 C.F.R. § 62.62 to terminate the J program designations of all eight sponsors of J-1 flight training programs, having determined these programs “no longer further the public diplomacy mission of the Department of State.” USDOS, however, noted that all eight flight training programs are also designated in the M-1 category.

The flight training sponsors will continue to have obligations to their exchange visitors pursuant to 22 CFR 62.63: they must fulfill their responsibilities to all exchange visitors who are in the United States at the time of their program termination until the individual’s exchange program is completed. Also, sponsors must notify prospective exchange visitors who have not yet entered the United States that the program has been terminated. Sponsors will have access to SEVIS to manage their existing program participants, but will not be able to initiate new programs after December 31, 2009.
link

Bravo73,

Well, those guys who can spare cash for JAA IR(H) and still do JAA CPL will not have problems thanks to aviation J1 demise. They'd be just fine on M1.

Ivor,
Didn't know it's that small numbers. It says something about success (and wealth) of Bristow Academy grads so that they are not 'forced' to instruct in the UK.
If I could get JAA FI (not counting the theory crunching) with the hours to instruct in the US (even 200TT heli for Robbies SFAR thingy) and come back to UK to instruct, I'd go for it straight away.
I think that those 250 hours req to start rotary JAA FI is like and orphaned child of fixed wing regulations in a way. Sure, more hours more experience, so then why FAA heli training system isn't crumbling?

Those extra hours (to start FI rating) plus JAA FI means around 280+ AFAIK. I'm sure there's more folks thinking the same.
Hence the need for instructing in the US due to limited budget. If successful, then they don't need to instruct in the UK when back.
Catch-22, really.
To save longer to instruct in the UK and delay career by couple years or do it as fast as possible on J1.

I wish I could be in position to 'give up completely' after CPL papers etc without the need, ie lost medical etc. That must be the guys who get wad of cash the easy way and/or find flying isn't about 'looking cool'. Others have to save for years to get there - they already decided.

Last edited by MartinCh; 1st Aug 2008 at 01:51. Reason: adding article and link, no need for another post