PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 - Ec120 wind limits
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2008, 08:24
ReverseFlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, apologies for jumping onto this thread late. I note tartare's original query and thought I might contribute, being rated in both EC120 and AS350.

As others have pointed out, the tail rotor authority of the AS350 is awesome. You would need to watch out when you run out of right pedal in a cross-wind from the left, assuming for some reason you can't crab into wind on approach and you're hot, high and heavy. (Fixed wings have no choice but to land on the most into-wind runway with minimum cross-wind component).

Actually I only once had problem with a BA where the left pedal hit the stops earlier than I thought during sideways filming simulation, but it turned out that the tail rotor pitch links needed adjustment.

The Colibri is somewhat underpowered compared to the Squirrel but in addition you've got this huge Jumbo-jet like tailfin to contend with when fighting a cross-wind. The tailfin is great for directional stability during engine-out run-ons but I think cross-winds demand a lot from the small Fenestron, unlike the bigger one on the EC130 (Eurocopter once demonstrated sideways flight at 47 kts to the left and 52 kts to the right in an EC130 before running out of pedal authority).

Another thing you have to contend with in the EC120 is a lot more pedal input is required due to the tail rotor being a Fenestron rather than a conventional one (eg AS350). Eurocopter issued a notice to pilots in early 2005 warning them about this phenomenon. Keep this in mind on approaches.

Safe landings.