PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is 1time Cat II/III rated?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2008, 17:19
countingteeth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAJS - Rwy 03L/R and 21L Cat II
FACT- RWY 19 Cat II and RWY 01 Cat IIIb
I was under the impression that the CatIII equipment in FACT was inop because parts had been stolen.... Has it since been replaced?

I can't contribute anything towards the topic technically, other than to say I have witnessed (from the jumpseat) three Autolands during my piddly life : one on a Comair 734 into Durban, one on a 1time MD83 into Cape Town, and one on a 1time MD87 into Jo'burg (which was with one of the Airline's Training Captains). On all three occasions the various Captains mentioned to me that they dont like using it because it lands too hard, and passengers think they have up the landing .

WRT the fuel bill : 1time are billed daily for their fuel. They do not operate a forward account, nor do they have any fuel hedges. From what I remember, its illegal to forward sell fuel in this country without charging interest - hence the reason you can't purchase fuel on a credit card. You need a seperate account that attracts interest from date of sale. They would thus need to finance their forward account through one of the banks (like SAA do), and it would be the bank suspending their facilities, not the oil company.

Peace.