PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest news on Shoe Bomb (Non Political/Racial comments only)
Old 29th Dec 2001, 20:24
brockenspectre

Rainbow Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

SaturnV
Excellent summation.

Becoming slightly Orwellian let me speculate on the future. I can begin to envisage the day when upon arrival at an airport pax are checked in, provided with a "flight suit" and slippers and their personal clothes, which themselves are of specific style/design, and handbaggage are subjected to rigorous scrutiny and heat-sealed into transparent bags by checkin staff (pax have to change in sex specific open changing rooms). Pax will go through a radiograph-style scan that will highlight any objects in body cavities. Hold baggage will be limited to non-metallic objects only, packed in soft cases. Only items bought in special shops airside will be permitted in the cabin and these items will be sealed in plastic and taken direct to the flight by the store (so a pax can't tamper with items in lavatories). All public areas (including lavatories) will be surveilled and lavatory cubicles will be on timers...anyone spending longer than a specific time in a cubicle will find the door spring open! and finally ... people will only be allowed to fly on specific airlines according to nationality having obtained "safe flyer" status by prior clearance from the authorities and accepting the implanting of a microchip (similar to the Pet ID ones) !!!

Have I missed anything?

OK so it is a dull and dreary southern UK, my car has gone u/s and I have let my mind run away with what is practical but at least these measures would mean that the risks to pax/crews airbone would revert to ATC/pilot skill/engineering!

Just kidding (or am I?).

edited to embolden SaturnV name!!

[ 29 December 2001: Message edited by: brockenspectre ]</p>