PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2008, 22:55
VH-UFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmm

Well if the RAAF were a little more flexible in selecting personnel for ATC, then maybe they wouldnt be in this position.

In 99 i took an out of mustering posting to a RAAF ATC unit as a Flight Data to learn as much as i could, with the view of becoming an Air Traffic Controller.

The education standards at the time stated that 4 year 12 subjects were required, with English being the only compulsory subject.

On advice from a teacher at the college i studied at, decided not to do year 12 maths considering it wasnt a required subject at the time (surprisingly!) and did the 4 year 12 subjects.

After a year and a half at the ATC unit, and with newly acquired year 12 subjects in hand, i applied, only to be told that i didnt have year 12 maths!

I argued the point stating it wasnt a required subject, yet they point blank refused, even after a controller at that unit got on the phone to recruiting and argued with them. It should not have been a reason to at least not let me participate in the testing process.

In fact it still isnt a required subject, but is highly desirable.

And before you say anything, yes with hindsight i should have done year 12 maths, but keep in mind this;

I had done the required 4 year 12 subjects as per requirements, i held a private pilots licence and done a year and a half at an ATC unit learning as much as i could.

Do you think i should have been given the chance at least to test with the above experience and quals?

Now keep in mind that if i had been just ONE rank higher (sergeant) i would have been given an education exemption and allowed to apply with year 11 alone.

How frustrating was it for me to see Sergeants, of which i knew 2 because they came for a visit to the unit, with just year 11 exclaiming they saw it advertised and "thought they would have a crack", only to hear about one of them crashing and burning inside a month, when i had been working towards that goal for 2 years?

I am sitting back and enjoying watching the RAAF suffer, couldnt be more happier.

Am i bitter after almost 10 years, hell yes?!!!!!