PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Ryanair Pilots: What is wrong with the landings?
Old 27th Jul 2008, 21:00
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 737s sprouted 2 metre winglets half way through my 2 years on them. They make absolutely no detectable difference whatsoever. Anybody who says anything about their handling qualities is bullorduring. Their chief advantage is....they look good! Make a Boeing look really sexy, and the Gulfstream IV incredible. Someone said they save a bit of fuel too. As for judging high speed, even the world's most experienced pilot can't tell unless he has an airspeed indicator in front of him!
Thanks for the answer Rainboe ....although I'm going to have to respectfully disagree over the aesthetic qualities of the winglets; I think they look silly on Boeings.

I like the Airbus style winglets which extend above and below the edge of the wing, they make the A320 look a very pretty aeroplane. The 737 and 757 though with the large ones just look like the wing has been bent upwards and the ones retrofitted to the 727 just look odd.

As for the landings themselves I've only flown Ryanair a few times and didn't notice the landing particularly. My last BA flight felt like a 'greaser' at Gatwick. I remember one AA flight into LAX on a 777....braked very hard and one could hear glass smashing in the galley!

Anyway who I am to comment...I often struggle to land my plane nicely....and it only weighs about one tonne, let alone 70!