PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF to shed 2000 jobs
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2008, 23:36
TMAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muff...the QF guys will be driving it and not too long after JQ ( a year or two) as only the first 15 787-8 go to JQ and remaining go direct to QF, then 2 years in (assuming timeline sticks) JQ then get the better suited 787-9 for their operation (15 also) and the initial 15 x 787-8 goes to mainlin for domestic ops I think??

Breakfast...I understand its accepted by most with access to these figures, that the cost to operate JQ flight of the same type as QF (ie 787 or 332) that it is approx 20-30% less depending on who you talk to. Sure the fuel is a much bigger percentage for JQ....which in itself shows you that their total costs are still much lower...or else percentage would be the same. This would work for any form of measuring cost's that you like as Genex stated above. Its fairly simple...pilots are 20-30%less paid, FA are at least 30% less paid and do 16 hour duties without bunks etc...(i.e MEL-DPS overnight returns), JQ take lowest contract price, have fewer head office staff for each area...etc etc.

In saying all that, cost of course doesnt alone determine profitability and one would reasonably expect on most business or higher yielding VFR routes that QF would be able to demand higher yield than JQ (i.e the great cityflyer domestic product and OZ-UK/USA traffic. But on routes that Ma & Pa Kettle want to visit the kids or the local B grade footy team wants a end of season trip (i.e. no big demand for First, business, prem econ and all the trimmings), well then JQ get more seats in and can take higher numbers of lower yielding pax. Where as QF Int a/c would not carry as many low payers....and hence lose a lot of money. Not because there is anything wrong with QF, the crew or the aircraft...just there is not a product/cost/yield match up...

So as Muff hinted at not lot in it, should be more about making the 2 brands benefit the GROUP rather than hurt each other. But I do think QF should by now have had a fleet of B777-200/300ER etc doing mainline domestic flying (SYD-MEL/PER etc and Longhaul to replace early 744's). At 2-3,000kg of fuel less per hour, newer product, better IFE....think how the longhaul and cityflyer would be going now...