PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is 1time Cat II/III rated?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2008, 16:11
boypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Scanafrica and company - in response to your sarcasm - no one here is disputing whether the MD80 can do a successful autoland or the 1Time crews competence in the execution thereof -

Here are the facts take them as you must - 1Time are not Cat IIIa approved for amongst other reasons but more importantly because they are not autoland approved . To the best of my knowledge there is no autoland monitoring/ maintenance program in place - For the purposes of approach ban, planning etc - the 350m RVR must be applied. It is not a 1Time self imposed penalty and doubtful whether it is observed, judging by your comments - it is an RVR degradation of 50m which is standard for all Cat II manual landings-1Time/ Aeronexus do not have operator/ maintenance approval for autolands- i.e Cat 11 minima with a manual landing is 350m ! As much as 1Time recommends the use of autolands for CatII approaches should the prefight find the system operable, the RVR minima of 350m still applies as this is the limit of their LVO CAA Approval. This approval precedent was set by the CAA with blue tail Sunair on the MD80 fleet- but I guess you weren't around then.
Until there is a monitored autoland system in place and Aeronexus is approved to maintain it you can go to sim as often as you like. The fundamental difference between a CatII and Cat IIIa approach is the mandatory requirement for an autoland following a Cat IIIa approach.Most operators applying for LVO approval or who are CatII and CAt IIIa approved have approved autoland maintenance and monitoring as well as the required training program to go with it - hence they are Cat II and Cat IIIa approved- Your so called LVO training should have covered these points - if they were'nt go get your money back.