PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush Pilot vs Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2008, 15:24
crockroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I messed up as kid and never had the chance of becoming a pilot in the RAF, so I joined the Army andto compensate my feeling of loss gain every land licence I could (+ a couple of sea licences too), I hve driven all types of motorbike, Artic trucks, double decker busses, 72 ton tanks.
I am just about to leave the forces and am seriously considering using my pension to pay for my PPL CPL etc but for me the whole point is to fly, I've been passenger in all types more times than I can count. The idea of getting a bush pilot job fills me with feelings that I have'nt had since I was a kid that said the odd chance to fly something big would be nice too, but all in all to be able to fly at all is what counts, big or small, bush or airline, it all has it pros and cons, however, experience can't be replaced by simulations or just plain education, it is an aid to providing a knowledge and basic skill level.
Each dedication requires its own skill set, some usefull, some not, I personally wouldn't even entertain the idea of trying to flying an airliner without buliding up to it, just like I never just went from my car test to driving a Challenger tank, I gained the peripheral experience required to do with driving in general. Its an odd comparison I know but the experience a Bush pilot can bring to an airline, even if its knowing exactly what the computer is dealing with when co-ords are punched in is better than taking it for granted.
I'm expecting to be shot down for this but I've seen the British Army dwindle over the years loosing alot of its experience and in turn having qualified soldiers with no experience left in their place and things just not working as they should be because all the good old tricks of the trade are being lost.

If I'm wrong then tell me, I have broad shoulders