PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Ryanair Pilots: What is wrong with the landings?
Old 26th Jul 2008, 14:15
alex111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA just like Ryanair just like easyjet just like any other airline has teenage pilots (and cabin crew) to a certain extent.
In a company like ryanair there are many because the company is expanding very quickly together with other reasons.
In a company say like alitalia the youngest FO is probably 40yrs old with thousands of hours (an exageration but get my point) not because the company doesn't wanna hire inexperienced pilots but simply because the company doesn't need to hire anyone!

Regarding the emergencies, in ryanair there have been some serious ones, some minor ones, some well handled, some less well handled... like in any other company there have been investigations and solutions to negative trends. And so far there hasnt been any evidence that these negative trends can be directly blamed to inexperienced FOs apart hard landings when strong corss winds prevailed. The company looked into it and decided to apply a crosswind limitation to two-stripe FOs and more emphasis on the subject during line training (ie less then a year experience online).

The statement that no flare is a tecnique to save fuel is complete bollocks.

This is my last post because I can see the conversation is degenarating into the usual ryanair is s**** ect, too bad I was quite happy to clarify concerns/questions that I once had when I flew has a passenger with ryan.

Alex.